March 23, 2013

Things I love: Ke$ha's new album, Warrior

I listened to a few Ke$ha songs way before Warrior came out, and I found them fun, but not outstanding in any way. So when I heard Ke$ha's new album, Warrior, I was pleasantly surprised: "Wow, really? Autotuned party girl Ke$ha did this? Really?"

It won't be K$ without glitter.

K$ stated that Warrior was heavily influenced by rock, and it shows. Take, for example, the  Dirty Love featuring Iggy Pop. Or my favorite song on the album, Only Wanna Dance with You:

This fresh new sound is a welcome break from her previous, (admittedly) generic pop efforts. It's way more memorable, anyway, what with the music industry shitting out a new annoying dance/electro/pop tune every fifteen seconds.

She also has some slow songs that showcase her vocal talent. Wonderland is a surprisingly soulful anthem to lost youth, while Past Lives glorifies the strong connection between two people:

After so much criticism that she couldn't sing, these tracks are Ke$ha's way of proving that yes, she can sing, and yes, she is good.

For those who love Ke$ha's previous album, don't worry: Warrior still uses a lot of autotune, it still has lots of dance songs, and the lyrics are still mostly about partying hard (drinking, dancing, and sexing up dem gents). In fact, the album's first single Die Young embodies all those qualities:


The album is a rather confusing mix of sounds, but overall, Warrior remains a big step up from her previous album, Animal, and her EP, Cannibal. Bbgurl herself has stated: "The first two records talked more about partying, which is a great, magical part of life, but some songs on the new record are more personal and vulnerable. And you can hear more of the music I listen to when I'm lying in my bed. I'm not claiming that it's a rock record – but as long as it's fucking good, you can call it whatever you want."

Whatever, K$ — I don't care what it's called, just give me more! #animal

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...