December 16, 2012

I'm a fool for Deadpool

When I wasn't too into comics, I thought Spider-Man was my favorite superhero. Then, when I began reading comics more, Marvel's Civil War made me wonder whether my superhero soulmate was Iron Man or Captain America. A while later when I read Batman: The Long Halloween and watched Nolan's Bat-trilogy, I was on the fence about whether The Dark Knight was actually my one true man in tights.

Those were rough times. My mind was a mess; I felt like I had lost touch with myself. I felt as though any given moment someone might ask me who my favorite superhero was and I'd be frozen speechless until they roll their eyes at me, sneer in condescension.

Then in the middle of Civil War, I found my superhero soulmate: Deadpool.


A few things about Deadpool:



He's called The Merc with a Mouth. 

For good reason, too. 'Pool loves yammering, much to the exasperation of foes and friends alike.


Even in the middle of a fight, he can say something witty. Sort of like Spider-Man.
Which brings me to my next point...

He's often confused for a "ninja Spider-Man".

Non-fans easily confuse Deadpool with the vastly more popular web-slinger due to the two's similar costumes.

Although Deadpool has pouches.
[Photo source]

He breaks the fourth wall so often that by now it's nothing more than a pile of rubble.

Deadpool's in-continuity constant nods to being a comic book character (e.g., references to a recap page) befuddle his fellow characters and is a source of endless hilarity to me.


Again with the pouches!

He loves pop culture.

DP enjoys working pop culture references—ranging from Bea Arthur to The Knack—in conversations.



Best of all? He's not a superhero.

He's a mercenary. He kills, maims, and steals for a price. But he does it all while having fun, which sets him a notch higher than other characters.

Deadpool's moral ambiguity is one of his best attributes.  His conflicting emotions about his life choices make for a surprisingly emotional and unpredictable read. You never quite know what he'll come up with next, whether it's betraying his best friend or taking a Hydra agent under his wing.


Maybe I'll find someone I'll love more than Deadpool. But for now, The Merc with a Mouth is numero uno in my heart.

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...