April 30, 2014

The Ultimate Book Tag


Grabbed from Books with Bite.
1. Do you get sick while reading in a car?
Nope. I can read pretty much anywhere.

2. Which author's writing style is completely unique to you and why?
I'd have to say Aimee Bender. Her prose is a bit flowery, but it never gets in the way of the story itself. Her wordiness actually draws me deeper into the story. Best example would be in The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, where she describes the ingredients of lemon cake, including "the yellow block of butter blurring at the edges". When she listed down what appears to be the contents of a grocery list, I saw everything in my mind's eye and I started craving lemon cake.
I fricking love her, is what I'm saying.

3. The Harry Potter series or the Twilight saga? Give 3 points to defend your answer.
Is this even a question? Harry Potter, because it has 1) good characters, 2) a good plot, and 3) good dialogue, AKA three things Twilight does not have.

4. Do you carry a book bag? If yes, what's in it (besides books)?
Nope.

5. Do you smell your books?
Only new ones. The old ones smell a bit gross. #sorrynotsorry

6. Books with or without little illustrations?
A little illustration is definitely a bonus. But there are some books with illustrations that enhance the story greatly (I'm talking about Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass with its original illustrations by John Tenniel).

7. What book did you love while reading but discovered later it wasn't quality writing?
R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series, maybe? They're good, but if you've read one, you've read 'em all.

8. Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood? Please share!
When I was in elementary school, I used to lock myself up in my aunt's room and read trashy romance novels. I was way too young to be reading them, but my family expressly forbid me to and being the little rebel I am, I just had to see what was in those books!

9. What is the thinnest book on your shelf?
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams.

10. What is the thickest book on your shelf?
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, a reference book.

11. Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself in the future as being an author?
I used to write fiction but when I started refining my literary taste, I stopped, because shit, I couldn't ever be as good as my idols. I can't write a cohesive plot, a lively dialogue, or well-rounded characters, so I didn't even bother. I wrote my last fiction piece two years ago and that was only because if I didn't, my university organization would probably sanction me. Heh.

12. When did you get into reading?
When I was in preschool, I already loved reading and writing stories. I stopped for a while in high school, then picked it up again in my second year of college.

13. What is your favorite classic book?
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. My aunt gave a beautiful hardcover copy and it's one of my treasured books.

14. In school was your best subject Language Arts/English?
In high school, I honestly don't remember. In college, not really, because I liked to skip classes. Oops.

15. If you were given a book as a present that you had read before and hated…what would you do?
Smile outwardly. Make a note to self that next year I would ask for gift certificates to a bookstore instead.

16. What is a lesser known series that you know of that is similar to Harry Potter or the Hunger Games?
The Percy Jackson series? I'm not a fan of YA series except for HP and THG.

17. What is a bad habit you always do (besides rambling) while filming?
N/A. I don't, um, film.

18. What is your favorite word?
Ersatz. To quote Elle Driver from Kill Bill, "I've always liked that word... [I] so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence."

19. Are you a nerd, dork, or dweeb? Or all of the above?
Dork, I think, would describe me best, as I am shy, introverted, and awkward.

20. Vampires or Fairies? Why?
Fairies. Never cared much for the vampire mythology (and no, this isn't just my Twilight-hate speaking.).

21. Shapeshifters or Angels? Why?
Shapeshifters! Angels are cool and all, especially fallen angel storylines, but shapeshifters are more interesting.

22. Spirits or Werewolves? Why?
Spirits. Never cared much for the werewolf mythology (and again, no, this isn't just my Twilight-hate speaking.).

23. Zombies or Vampires?
I don't care for either genre. Vampires win by a nose.

24. Love Triangle or Forbidden Love?
Love triangle! I know it's done to death but I always enjoy weighing the people against each other and seeing which couple I'd ship.

25. AND FINALLY: Full on romance books or action-packed with a few love scenes mixed in?
Romance books. They tend to have lots of exploration of ~feelings and emotions~, which I totally love.

Aaaand that's it! Anyone is free to grab this tag, and share your link in the comments section! :)

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...