June 6, 2014

One Verse at a Time: Blood and Peanut Butter



This is one of my absolute favorite songs, and that's saying something. The Best Friend and I have been trying for years to figure out what this song is saying, and one drunken night, we finally succeeded (sort of), so I'm writing this down for posterity!
* * * * * * * *

Once when I looked and saw you standing by the subway line
But if you found out it was a lie
I would die to know where you lie and go

The persona is obviously a stranger to the one he's singing to. He looks at her and wishes that he knows her.

Oh what does it mean
baby didn't show til 8:15
and should you love another guy
I would die to know where you lie to go
and sleep tonight

Okay, the persona is obviously showing signs of stalking. He knows the other's schedule down to the minute and is puzzled when she doesn't show up. He wonders if she's with someone else.

Try a little luck
with a sunny smile and a witty eye
and you may find a smiling guy
and a little air between your lips and mine

The persona is practically begging her to notice him, so he can make a move...

Oh cry almost like a baby so don't be surprised
if don't find you can comply
When I'm on my knees looking for recipes

...and if she rejects him, he will frantically be searching for a way to make her accept him.

So won't you answer the phone and tell me you're all alone
I saw you everyday i'm begging you to don't go away

Stalker status confirmed! Especially when you hear the next bit...

(female voice)
I don't even know your name
couldn't call you anything
should have called you baby
maybe just a little grant
I don't even like it when you're making all the noise for me
I don't even know your name
couldn't call you anything

She doesn't know anything about the guy. To be honest, I have no idea what "I don't even like it when you're making all the noise for me" is supposed to mean. Can anyone help me out here?

(male voice)
Hold on, you didn't tell me baby you'll be back at dawn
or in the backseat out by your lawn
I would die to know where you lie to go
oh no having trouble finding out which way to go
I'm stuck in slow-mo looking on the ground for the love I've found

Now the persona is stuck, helplessly lost in his infatuation. The person he's singing to doesn't even know the lengths he goes to just to catch a glimpse of her.

* * * * * * * *

That's the best we can do. I'm not even sure that these are the correct lyrics??? All the Internet sources have different versions, and I can't decipher the lyrics.

If any of y'all have some insight to this, that would be great because I've been listening to this for years and I still haven't got it. It's driving me insane! Send help!

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...