October 14, 2012

One Verse at a Time: I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You)

I listen to a lot of music, and I like to share them with the Interwebs. One Verse at a Time is a new segment on Bubblegum Basics that allows me to geek out over my favorite songs and explain exactly what makes them awesome.

I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You). Whew! Fall Out Boy song titles are always a goddamn mouthful.

I like to call Me & You 1 my suicide song.


No, it's not the song I'd kill myself to. It's quite the opposite: it's the song that keeps me from throwing myself in front of a bus along Commonwealth2. When I get unspeakably miserable, I turn this up and sing my lungs out, and the weight on my chest eases up. This song has saved me sanity countless times, and thus it deserves to be the first song on One Verse at a Time.



I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You)

Fall Out Boy



Last year's wishes are this year's apologies
every last time I come home
I take my last chance to burn a bridge or two

He starts off with good intentions (don't we all?) but somehow, it ends badly.

I only keep myself this sick in the head coz I know how the words get you

Instead of speaking up and letting his feelings out, he keeps them to himself because he's worried about how the other person would react.

We're the new face of failure
Prettier and younger but not any better off

An arrogant generation believing that they won't make the same mistakes as the ones that came before them; pretty young things obsessed with chasing their idea of perfection, setting themselves up for failure when that high standard isn't met.

Bulletproof loneliness, at best

His loneliness is so solid, so complete, that nothing could penetrate it.

Me and you, setting: in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you, if I woke up next to you

All he wants is to simply wake up next to the person he cherishes. Everything else would fall into place—the honeymoon, so to speak, where nothing could go wrong.

Collect the bad habits that you couldn't bear to keep out of the woods but I love
A tree I used to lay beneath, kissed teeth stained red
From the sour bottle baby girl with eyes the size of baby worlds

He wistfully remembers better times he spent with her, despite their tribulations. This "sour bottle baby girl" has grown up similarly damaged, and "eyes the size of baby worlds" is her wide-eyed innocence at the hardships he is facing.

The best way to make it through with hearts and wrists intact
is to realize two out of three ain't bad

In the end, he realizes that chasing perfection will give him nothing except heartbreak, and accepts that mistakes will be made—and best of all, that making mistakes is okay.
Possibly the BEST LYRIC IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER. This gets me every single time. This is the line that reminds me not to break down whenever I screw up. Despite all the shit that goes down, I can make it through "with hearts and wrists intact".

Granted, the song can be interpreted in many other ways 3, but this is how I see it.



Lyrics and photo taken from Metrolyrics.

1 for brevity, because Jesus, I can't keep repeating that title in this post
2 for some reason, my ideal death
3 FOB songs are always difficult to read

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...