March 19, 2011

I pledge to read the printed word

Since I've been so goddamn busy with stuff, I haven't been able to read as much as I want to. Thank god I already finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I plan to buy my own copy... or wait until The Best Friend buys another copy and beg him for the old one instead.

Booklist:


Chuck Palahniuk's Rant. Borrowed from Andy. I'm thankful it's already worn, that way I won't have to be overly concerned about leaving lined on the spine, teehee. It's an oral biography of a serial killer, told by many voices. Andy tells me it's awesome.

My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me. Edited by Kate Bernheimer, this is a collection of fairy tales, all with a twist. I bought this because it had "Aimee Bender" on the cover and also because I love dark, sinister fairy tales gone wrong. Screw you, Cinderella.


Invisible Monsters, another Palahniuk. Highly recommened by the blogosphere. The plot revolves around a fashion model crippled by a horrific accident that leaves her horribly disfigured and unable to speak. It seems really cool. If this turns out to be better than Choke, I am a Palahniuk fan for life.

Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar was an impulse buy. It's a literary classic, but I bought it because I was keen to read the work of someone who killed herself. I'm weird that way.

Yet another Palahniuk, Haunted. I was with Peter Angelo in Fully Booked when I saw this, and he told me about the plot: a group of writers stuck together Survivor-style to come up with stories. He also mentioned something about masturbation. That clinched the deal. He also told me that the cover was glow-in-the-dark.

Impossible Dream by Sandra Burton. Kat lent me this book about Martial Law in the Philippines. It also explores the intertwined lives of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos and Ninoy and Cory Aquino. Fun fact: Did you know Meldy called her husband Andy? And that Ferdinand only courted Imelda for eleven days? Their whirlwind romance is so cute. Seriously.

I must find time to finish reading everything. Oh, and my mom agreed to pay for a copy of The Girl in the Flammable Skirt, the only Aimee Bender book I have yet to read. Yay mom I love you so much okay! I also love eBay for having everything I need!

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...