September 22, 2011

It's summer in September with Best Coast

Lie in a hammock, pop open a cold beer, and enjoy the feel of the sun and wind. It's summer in September with Best Coast
Discovering them was one of the best things that has happened to me recently. The band's made up of Bethany Cosentino on vocals and guitar, Bobb Bruno on lead guitar, and Ali Koehler on drums. Their surf pop sound, with its lo-fiechoey quality, was inspired when Bethany was living in New York and became homesick for California beach living. BC's songs conjure images of lazy summers in my head (it was my soundtrack for our recent Puerto Galera trip). But don't be fooled by their upbeat sound; most of their songs are bummers, usually about lovers who have gone, and more than three have the lyric "I miss you" in them. They still make me insanely happy, though.


Photo source

It's pretty hard to choose the songs I love the most, but here is a short list of the essential BC:


Their first single Crazy For You, from which they took the title of their debut album, puts me in an easygoing mood. I'm not crazy for this song (hah!), but it's what led me to listen to BC. Also helped that the music video reminds me of Thnks Fr Th Mmrs.



• Boyfriend is about unrequited love, a universal theme for us unlucky ones: girl loves boy, boy loves someone else. Le sigh.
Lyric samples: "I wish he was my boyfriend. I love him 'til the very end but instead, he is just a friend," "The other girl is not like me, she's prettier and skinnier."

I think part of the appeal of BC is the simplicity of lyrics: it makes their songs just so easy to relate to. Add that to a melody that makes you want to chill on a beach, and a saccharine video, and you've got a favorite.


Bethany explains on How They Want Me to Be"It's a song about the Internet just driving me crazy with people being like, 'Why do you write such stupid lyrics? Why don't you write longer songs?' I was like, 'I don't want to be that way.'"
The lyrics are, as usual, simple but sweet: "I wake up in the morning or the middle of the night, I look at you and I know it's all right, coz you don't want me to be how they want me to be." I particularly love "All of my friends stick up their noses, ask me where my money is, where does it go once I've spent it?" because it's the story of my life, heh.


• The lyrics of Our Deal are self-explanatory: she's in love with her FWB, who she thinks won't reciprocate her feelings because "that's not our deal." For inexpressible reasons, I find the whole thing enchanting and sad. Ah, if only I'd discovered this a year earlier.


The video, featuring Miranda Cosgrove and Chloe Moretz and directed by Drew Barrymore, brought tears to my eyes, but then I'm always crying about something or other.


• When I'm With You is a surprisingly happy song about being "just crazy" and having "fun" when you're with that special do0d.

Probably one of the most fun videos I've seen in a while.
(Have I converted you yet into BC fanatics?)


If you've watched the videos, you may have noticed the recurring cat themes. Bethany is indie's crazy cat lady. Everyone who knows BC knows how crazy B is about Snacks, her pet cat who's featured on videos, the album cover, and band merch.
Photo source

Sun, surf, sea? Nah. You don't need beach getaways when you have Best Coast on your iPod!*
As of now, they're working on their second album, and I absolutely cannot wait. BESTYCOASTY!!1!!1!
P.S. I want that shirt!

*exaggeration, obviously

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...