June 1, 2014

REVIEW: Happy Skin Turn Up the Heat


I'm a bit of a make-up snob. I prefer spending a bit more money on quality products that will deliver, instead of blowing minor bucks on things that I won't use regularly. That's why I tend to bypass the cheaper, locally-made beauty brands (sorry?) and head straight for the more expensive ones like Revlon.

That said, Happy Skin Cosmetics piqued my curiosity. I mean, a locally-made mid-range brand that has lovely, Benefit-esque packaging AND consistently excellent product reviews? Is this a dream?

Apparently not! I got my hands on their summer lippie collection, Turn Up the Heat, and understood why beauty bloggers were abuzz with this new brand.

All of Happy Skin's products have witty names and beautiful, colorful packaging. TUTH is no exception: just look at this awesomeness!




I hate, hate, hate ugly packaging. I forgive e.l.f. because I know they can deliver good products, but for all other brands, I ignore cheap-looking packaging with bad typography. It says a lot about the products that the manufacturers actually care about what kind of image they project to consumers. And the attention to detail in the packaging means you get all your money's worth. Happy Skin definitely delivers on this aspect.

For the price of PhP1249, you get three Shut Up & Kiss Me Moisturizing Lippies. That comes down to around PhP416 each. Not bad, considering that Revlon's similar lippies retail for more than PhP500.


Although the tip is not as precise as I'd like them to be, and it doesn't come with a sharpener, it's okay. The twist-up mechanism means no sharpening and no product wastage. It's completely idiot-proof! Perfect for beginners.


These lippies come in the colors Summer Crush, Sunset Kiss, and The Morning After (left to right).

Summer Crush is a blue-based pink. This is a great everyday lippie that's not too loud, but gives a beautiful pop of color.


I have to say, I never though I could pull off pink, but this one looks lovely on me with a light pink blush.

Also, check out the winged eyeliner!

Sunset Kiss is a red-orange shade that brightens the face. It's a bold, loud color that I like wearing on lazy days when I'm only wearing powder. It makes me look more put-together.


Plus, I wore this while swimming and it didn't come off!

Ok, so this was before I went swimming, but I swear it stayed on even after I hit the water.
Also, say hi to Mommy!

The Morning After is a light pink-mauve. It can be a perfect MLBB shade for light-skinned women; however, on me, I find it can wash me out, especially if I'm not wearing blush.


I took a leap of faith by wearing this a few times, since I'm afraid of wearing nearly-nude lips. As I predicted, this shade washed me out badly, especially in photos:


As I stated in the blog post I linked there, I love this color! But it won't work out for me :( I'm gonna give this to my fairer-skinned mom. It'll look way better on her.

They come in a satin finish that transfers slightly. Texture for all lipsticks is creamy but with slight tugging. It can be a bit drying, which is surprising because they're supposed to be as moisturizing as balms, right? These require lip prep for me, which means exfoliating and applying balm before application.
Staying power for these are average at around 2-4 hours. They cannot withstand meals: I always find a weird ring of color around my lips after eating.

If you're looking for a good bargain on quality lip colors, this is it. TUTH contains a bold color, an MLBB shade, and a naturally-pretty pink, so there will definitely be something to strike your fancy.

Price: PhP1249.00
Verdict: Although it could use some improvements, overall, I'm impressed. Would purchase from Happy Skin again.

Disqus

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...